Latest posts by Jennifer Boykin (see all)
- Female Genital Mutilation- A Woman From Somalia Speaks Up - February 24, 2016
- 15 Kind Things You Should Tell Yourself Before 9AM - February 23, 2016
- Can New Virtual Reality Really Kick Depression’s Ass? - February 22, 2016
2016 is officially here! Now that the ball has dropped and we’ve toasted, kissed, and made our final posts of 2015, you may be asking what’s next? If you’re like me, you may be thinking New Year’s resolutions are lame and no one ever follows through with them. It’s no wonder why gyms get so many sign ups in January, only to have many of them canceled within a few months.
Why put yourself on a strict diet plan when you know you’re just going to end up cheating and feel bad about yourself afterwards? Instead, this year, try setting realistic and exciting resolutions that you’ll actually want to achieve. Forget anything that involves forcing yourself to do something you really don’t want to do. Make resolutions that bring out the best qualities in you.
1. SPEND MORE TIME WITH NATURE: Wether it’s a fishing trip with friends, hunting, traveling, or walking your dog, spending time outdoors is the perfect way to increase vitality and feel energized. Being outside and immersed in nature makes people feel more alive, finds a series of studies published in the June 2010 issue of the Journal of Environmental Psychology. Just 20 minutes per day can make us more resilient to physical illness. Nature is good for the soul.
2. BE PRESENT: “Worry is a misuse of imagination.”- Dan Zadra. It’s quite ironic to think that being in the present moment is something that we have to practice. With our busy day-to-day routines we can easily get caught up in planning and minor details that we forget to take notice of the present moment and give thanks for it.
Meditation or guided day-dreaming are perfect ways to slow down and center our awareness around the breath. Slowing our brain waves down allows us to relax more, destress, and focus on our intentions. If you’d like to learn more about taking charge of your own life and manifesting your dreams into reality then Click Here!
3. EAT FOOD THAT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD: This year, instead of putting yourself on a restricting diet (unless recommended by your doctor), eat foods that make you feel good inside. Take the time to really taste food and enjoy the flavor. Try to focus on getting enough fruits, veggies, and protein to fuel your day.
Listen to your body when it tells you that it’s had enough of something, or what it’s craving. Sugar can be deceiving in this way so don’t overdo it. Elect for Stevia, honey, or agave instead. If you’re one of the 115 million Americans with diabetes or pre-diabetes you may want to check this out: Diabetes Destroyer video Click Here!
If you need more guidance when it comes to what to eat and when to eat it then check out this e-book Eat-Stop-Eat Click Here! If you’re like me and you love cooking with coconut oil and apple-cider vinegar, then check out this e-book of recipes and health benefits of coconut oil from thealternativedaily.com Click Here!
4. STETCH DAILY: Even if you skip the boring cardio routine at the gym, don’t forget your daily stretch. Stretching increases blood flow, making you more relaxed, flexible, balanced, and coordinated. For a DIY yoga class Click Here!
According to fitday.com, “Spending just a short amount of time (10-15 minutes) stretching each day can help calm the mind and provide a mental break for your body to recharge… Incorporating stretching into your daily workouts or into your regular day on their own is just as important to health and body functioning as regular exercise.”
If you’re a female looking for a fitness routine that you can easily do from home with meal suggestions, watch this video on The Venus Factor Click Here! Or if you’re a guy or gal looking for basic core techniques and you want to tone your mid-section then Click Here! to check out 0-6 Pack Abs.
5. BE KIND TO YOURSELF: Make a healthy habit to say positive daily affirmations to yourself. Don’t forget to give yourself a pat on the back when you make yourself proud. Give yourself little treats and incentives for daily accomplishments.
Boost your own morale, be your biggest fan, and value your own self-worth. Know that you are capable beyond measure and empower yourself. Tell yourself daily that you are amazing, powerful, courageous, and worthy. You may even begin to notice that when you treat yourself better, people around you begin to do the same. “You either walk inside your story and own it or you stand outside your story and hustle for your worthiness.”-Brene Brown
6. TRY NEW THINGS: I know this one is pretty vague, but that’s the point! New beginnings can add a fresh sense of curiosity. Evoke a new passion. Learn a skill, trade, or talent that sparks your creativity. The sky is the limit. Pull out your bucket list and give it a run for its money.
Maybe take those guitar lessons you’ve been contemplating Click Here!, make beats and sharpen your digital DJ skills Click Here!, or take that rogue trip to Europe you’ve been dreaming about. It doesn’t have to be expensive or extremely time consuming and could be as simple as cooking a new delectable cuisine or learning trick photography Click Here!
(photos credit via pixabay.com)